Mikale
I'm back! Major hiatus, I know, but I'm back in the blogging spirit, mostly because today was a snow day and I have time. I lost February, don't know how it got away from me so quickly, but I have a feeling March is gonna be a great month.
I just got back from a weekend in Hamilton, MO. If you haven't heard of it, you're not alone, it's about an hour out of Kansas City, pretty close to Far West. It was fun, got to spend time with Al, the kid I went to the Middle East with, and I made it out just in time to hit a snow storm in MO and then made it back last night in time to catch ours here in Maryland. I really do like the snow when it's all said and done, I spent today catching up on sleep and getting some things done for school this week. There's lots on the docket for March, we have our County Choral Festival and then we're heading to Atlanta for festival in April. Lots of pressure starts right about now with sight-reading and getting our songs ready. But I have learned a lot since last year, about how the program runs, about the time-line, about when i really need to start worrying. My kids are great and I'm finding that the more love i throw out at them, the harder they'll work for me. Not always easy, especially in February and March when the "madness" really does begin with teenager's and their mood swings. But nonetheless, i'm learning.
I'll be honest, the biggest lesson to learn, that i'm sure i'll learn again and again, is that I can't possibly do it on my own. I still try, yes, because that's just my stubborn, wannabe independent personality. I try really really hard to get as much done without pestering anybody else about it. For that reason people rarely know about the small battles that go on in my mind every day. But i like it that way for the most part. However, I'm learning that 1) there are many people that are more than willing to help and don't feel the least bit put out, and 2) I don't need to really ever stress out at all about things. When they start getting too much to handle, i just give it to the Lord. And he takes care of things. I'm coming to depend on that more and more.
The funny thing is, i keep feeling like one of these times he's gonna say, "Okay, Mikale, you've used me quite enough for now, I'm burned out. you're on your own for this one." But it doesn't happen. I have this college coming up from VA and in a lot of ways I'm a bit over my head. I didn't start realizing it until this weekend and started freaking out. Called my dad, he pretty much gave me a fatal prognosis and made me even more terrified. So I just looked upward, told the people in charge I couldn't do it on my own, prayed my little heart out, and help is coming from everywhere today; people stepping up to help out and scheduling falling into place. Not to say I don't have my work cut out for me still, and yes, i had to do quite a bit over the weekend while i was in MO, but it's great to know that it doesn't make me want to vomit anymore cuz of stress. It's nice to have that and to learn to rely on it. But, like i said, it's a lesson I'll have to learn over and over, i'm sure.
Okay, the real reason for the blog post is cuz I'm going down to Duck Beach on Memorial Day, it's a huge event on the east coast. Everyone pays money to rent out these enormous houses of 30-40 people and the North Carolina beach becomes infested with hundreds upon hundreds of LDS singles for one weekend a year, each one going for a distinctly unique yet precisely identical reason that nobody will ever admit to... totally not my scene. And yet, when you cop out, like I did last year, the pictures and the stories just make you feel completely and totally left out and you end up going anyway, despite your adamant refusal when the idea is first spun your direction.
So, I'm likely going. And i really want to start one of those weight loss competitions among my friends cuz it sounds like a fun way to finally have some motivation to start eating better. Anyone ever taken part in one or have any ideas of how to do it right? I don't know if it's so much a goal to lose the most weight but to just look beach worthy before the summer kicks off. I figure we have a good 2-3 months, that's plenty of time to get something going but I won't do it if its just me by myself. So if you have any recommendations of how to start something among friends, drop me a line.
2 hour delay tomorrow so I'm gonna get a good job and some reading in before school. I would just love my life if i didn't have to wake up at 4:30 everyday. 6:30 is so much more appealing to me. It's pretty freaking hilarious to hear the people of DC whine and complain about Obama- ever since he got put in office they haven't had a single snow day in the District. Even when things are pretty bad and all of Maryland is cancelled, he calls them wusses and tells them that things get 100 times worse in Chicago and they didn't have days off there. DC used to close on a dime when there would be flurries in the air and now they don't ever, ever have days off. It's kinda funny. The one good thing about not working in the District i guess. Oh, Bama. Such mixed feelings you create ;)
1 Response
  1. Al Says:

    it was a good adventure again. Very glad you got to 'experience' hamilton MO, you're one of a very select few. And I'm very jealous that you got a snow day.

    Also, that's great that things are working out with the visiting choir and such, hope all goes well.