Mikale
Yesterday I learned a lot of really valuable lessons, but certainly in a way that could have been avoided. And since it probably could have had i chosen a different course of action I'm dwelling on the incident, whether i should be or not. I understand i might not have been able to prevent it but as a teacher, I'm feeling guilty.

A fight broke out in the hallway right after my class. It's still being determined if the persons involved will be expelled from the school but i assume i'll find out shortly. To make the long story short, there was some major drama going on in my class that i had no idea about, and i'm guessing the material we were covering in class wasn't helping much. There were notes being passed (which i did see and put an end to), feelings being hurt and girls being nasty to one another, all through body language of course (which i didn't see), and a few very sensitive girls being pushed right to their limits. I guess i get on this role sometimes when i feel like i can really expect a lot from them just for a minute and then back it off and have some down time for the rest of class. It works most the time and they do feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm well aware the situation could have had nothing to do with any of it, but they did mention my class a lot in the mediation afterward. Makes me cringe. Well, emotions escalated after class got out and yelling/name calling started. It wasn't gonna be physical until a third party stepped in and suddenly people were on the ground. Ellington really doesn't have fights, so this is a pretty big deal.

It definatly sunk in last night that I'm not dealing with college level students. I can't move as fast as i'm used to just coming out of school. They don't want to move that fast, they're not used to it, and i need to figure out how to play to them. That's really all that matters, that i'm in their world and i'm teaching on their level. Funny, i thought i knew that. i could spit it out to you if you asked, of course that's the way you teach. It makes sense. I suppose we learn though experience though. They need to feel like they're learning more than i need to feel like material is getting covered. Learning the hard way.

We'll see what happens. I really like those kids. I hope they get to stay.
0 Responses