Everyone keeps asking me the same question, "isn't it nice to have things start wrapping up?" Who are you kidding? The end of the school year has never felt like "wrapping things up" until you get to the last day of school and realize you aren't coming back the next day. till then, it's still a series of deadlines and tests. For a new teacher, learning the schedule for when to write finals, when to start songs for a concert coming up next week, when to order t-shirts to get them on time, when to start planning graduation songs, concert uniforms, when to schedule the stage for next year, when to find an accompanist; it just all comes pretty quickly. It's not over till it's over.
I started making a list at the beginning of May of all my trips planned for the next 3 months and realized I have no real stability in my life whatsoever. I'm not complaining; on the contrary it's kind of funny to me. I just got back from a trip last week to Utah for EFY training. It was an incredible weekend of getting ready for the summer, meeting some of the most incredible people who will be running sessions all over the United States, hearing from General Leaders of the church, and really just getting motivated. And i got to see my family, poor little Isaac and his purple cast.
It is absolutely incredible when i think about the summer and the 10s of thousand young people who will come to the EFY program sessions. They're all looking for essentially the same thing- to be around people that have their same values, that make them feel like they fit in while trying to be good, and for a strengthening of their faith in Christ. And to be able to help facilitate that and to see miracles every single week, it's a job that I can't be more grateful for. I won't be on as long of a stretch as i have been in the past since i have to get back here to work, but the thought of being around such spiritual giants that the YSAs and leaders of these sessions have for weeks on end makes every hard day at work seem so much more tolerable. There is a pot of gold waiting somewhere. Plus, preparing for it has motivated me to be such a better teacher to my students. I spend so much time doing the dumb administrative things, that's all i think i have time for, that i fail to really get to know them and love them. It's taken awhile but yesterday was a good day for seeing some of the fruits of my labors i guess. I dunno, i think sometimes i feel like the only way to influence lives is to bring them the gospel. You can't do that in school. But there are hundreds of ways to make lives better, to strengthen youth at a time when they need it so badly. I feel so privileged to be able to be someone who gets to associate with young minds every single day. These kids, whether they know it or not, are lead by the spirit to make decisions. Sometimes I just need to be reminded.
Next week i get to go home and see my baby brother graduate from high school! He has become one of the most outstanding young men I've met. Every time i go home it takes me awhile to remember that he's grown up now, i still think of him as a little toe-headed punk kid who couldn't stop wrestling his older brother, got sent to the hospital every other month for stitches, and couldn't say his "r"s. Somehow he grew up and became a witty, handsome, intelligent volleyball star who I love spending time with. I'm excited for our little excursion after graduation.
So as of right now, it looks like i'll be in MD till mid-June, after which I'll move my stuff (yeah, i'm getting kicked out of my current house), head out to the islands to go scuba dive for a week, and then start the EFY travels from IN, IL, MI, OH, maybe PA, dunno for sure... i'll swing by home somewhere in there... and then back to work. I'm excited to not have to buy a plane ticket every other week, it's getting rather expensive. It's no wonder I can't afford food anymore.
Just kidding, Mom.
So, the year is wrapping up! Just kidding, it's not, but i'll be sure to tell you when it is. My last day of school is June 11. Hallelujah.
Happy May Birthdays to everyone and their dog... It's a huge month for celebrating some very important people - Isaac, Steve, Ryan, my dad, Grandpa Clark... so here's a tribute to all of you.
Dad when he broke his arm trying to save Isaac....
Isaac when he broke his arm trying to be 2...

Steve-O teaching Isaac a thing or two about baseball
My sweet grandparents at Easter Dinner- happy b-day Grandpa Clark
Ryan at Harper's Ferry, WV in January 08
Dad and Isaac, we'll never ask either of them to grow up
This is why we're friends...
Striking resemblance- Ryan at the portrait gallery in DC
I started making a list at the beginning of May of all my trips planned for the next 3 months and realized I have no real stability in my life whatsoever. I'm not complaining; on the contrary it's kind of funny to me. I just got back from a trip last week to Utah for EFY training. It was an incredible weekend of getting ready for the summer, meeting some of the most incredible people who will be running sessions all over the United States, hearing from General Leaders of the church, and really just getting motivated. And i got to see my family, poor little Isaac and his purple cast.
It is absolutely incredible when i think about the summer and the 10s of thousand young people who will come to the EFY program sessions. They're all looking for essentially the same thing- to be around people that have their same values, that make them feel like they fit in while trying to be good, and for a strengthening of their faith in Christ. And to be able to help facilitate that and to see miracles every single week, it's a job that I can't be more grateful for. I won't be on as long of a stretch as i have been in the past since i have to get back here to work, but the thought of being around such spiritual giants that the YSAs and leaders of these sessions have for weeks on end makes every hard day at work seem so much more tolerable. There is a pot of gold waiting somewhere. Plus, preparing for it has motivated me to be such a better teacher to my students. I spend so much time doing the dumb administrative things, that's all i think i have time for, that i fail to really get to know them and love them. It's taken awhile but yesterday was a good day for seeing some of the fruits of my labors i guess. I dunno, i think sometimes i feel like the only way to influence lives is to bring them the gospel. You can't do that in school. But there are hundreds of ways to make lives better, to strengthen youth at a time when they need it so badly. I feel so privileged to be able to be someone who gets to associate with young minds every single day. These kids, whether they know it or not, are lead by the spirit to make decisions. Sometimes I just need to be reminded.
Next week i get to go home and see my baby brother graduate from high school! He has become one of the most outstanding young men I've met. Every time i go home it takes me awhile to remember that he's grown up now, i still think of him as a little toe-headed punk kid who couldn't stop wrestling his older brother, got sent to the hospital every other month for stitches, and couldn't say his "r"s. Somehow he grew up and became a witty, handsome, intelligent volleyball star who I love spending time with. I'm excited for our little excursion after graduation.
So as of right now, it looks like i'll be in MD till mid-June, after which I'll move my stuff (yeah, i'm getting kicked out of my current house), head out to the islands to go scuba dive for a week, and then start the EFY travels from IN, IL, MI, OH, maybe PA, dunno for sure... i'll swing by home somewhere in there... and then back to work. I'm excited to not have to buy a plane ticket every other week, it's getting rather expensive. It's no wonder I can't afford food anymore.
Just kidding, Mom.
So, the year is wrapping up! Just kidding, it's not, but i'll be sure to tell you when it is. My last day of school is June 11. Hallelujah.
Happy May Birthdays to everyone and their dog... It's a huge month for celebrating some very important people - Isaac, Steve, Ryan, my dad, Grandpa Clark... so here's a tribute to all of you.
Steve-O teaching Isaac a thing or two about baseball
This is why we're friends...

I love this post! It's always great to see the new notes "sunshining" on your blog. Hooray for May birthdays! Can't wait to have you home again if only for a moment. Love you!
Sounds like you'll be on the road tons and tons. Where will you actually end up next year?
In other news (this is cousin Wendy), I have decided to join this who world of bloggers and would like to do a link, if that's alright with you.
auntweed@blogspot.com
Wendy
So I thought I had already posted, but can't find it now.
Anyway, just wondering where you will end up at the end of the summer - although you will certainly be staying busy throughout it!
I have decided to enter into this world of blogging (auntweed.blogspot.com) and would love to do a link.
Cousin,
Wendy
wendy! so good to hear from yoU! i'll end up back here at least for one more year... i don't know if i'm thrilled about it yet or not but i do feel like it's where i should be. i'll look you up on your blog!