Mikale
(From Thursday)

I gotta say, it’s hilarious to be here at school today. Yesterday it started snowing and the entire city went nuts. I’ve been waiting for the snow and my friend Odie keeps telling me they just don’t get snow here, at least till after Christmas. Well, we got a couple of inches yesterday, it started in the morning and was on and off all day. The busses got all off schedule, the roads had 2 hour back ups, and the school had talk of letting school out. Father Paine had a huge sign on the front of his shirt that said “Don’t ask me if we’re getting out of school early.” I walked outside about 6:00 elated. Ellington is so beautiful in the snow J The biggest problem I guess is nobody takes care of the roads and nobody has any experience driving in the weather. So accidents happen on every corner and school goes on a “2 hour delay” where it starts 2 hours late. Or not at all. There’s seriously like 2 inches covering the ground and I can’t tell you how many schools closed. About half the students are here at school today and it’s bright and sunny. Teachers and students alike are complaining about how ridiculous it is to have us here. Man, I wish they could see some of the conditions I trekked to school in when in Utah, even Chicago. DCs seen nothing yet.

The best part is none of the kids are here and we have some big concerts tonight that are kinda important… the show choir is singing for Mayor Fenty’s birthday bash today. That’ll be very exciting. And me and the Female Ensemble have an hour long Holiday Concert at Macy’s tonight. I hope people show up, that’s all I gotta say.
I’m convinced it started snowing because we’re singing “Let it Snow” and I didn’t want to sound dumb singing about it in the 60 degree weather we’ve been having. I’m convinced. We have another concert on Saturday, the combined one here in the Ellington Theatre. I’m excited to have my girls sing on the stage. This’ll be their first time.

One week left here at good ol’ Duke.

Quote of the week: in Opera Workshop they’re doing presentations on songs from different operas. There was a French Opera and Keith got up to present the singers. He stopped and looked at a name on his paper a second and then said, “Juh-queese, that’s a nice name. I wish I had that name.” I wanted to die laughing. Not only did he butcher the most common of common French names, but only here would a name like that actually be coveted.
0 Responses