Mikale






Last night was a memorable one. It marked my first and last performance on the Duke Ellington School of the Arts stage. The Female Ensemble performed three songs, one of which I was able to conduct. It’s one of my favorite songs and honestly, I’ll remember that moment for a very long time. The song is called “Where Shepherds Lately knelt” and the words fit the way I feel about my experience this semester so perfectly. I’ll include a link so you can hear the song, the girls sang it so beautifully, that recording doesn’t do it justice.

“Where Shepherds lately knelt and kept the Angel’s word,
I come in half belief, a pilgrim strangely stirred.
But there is room and welcome there for me.
In that unlikely place, I find him as they said,
Sweet newborn babe, how frail!
And in a manger bed, a still small voice to cry one day for me.
How could I not have known Isaiah would be there?
His prophesies fulfilled, with pounding heart I stare.
A child, a Son, the Prince of Peace for me.
Can I, will I forget how Love was born and burned it’s way into my heart,
Unasked, unforced, unearned,
To die alone for me.”

I was just so proud. Proud of my girls, proud to be part of that school, proud of myself for completing a semester that a lot of people thought I didn’t have the skills to do.
The lights, the sounds, the violin, the audience made the night magical. Watching Mr. Bonds conduct in only the way he can was mesmerizing. Having him grab my hand and complimenting me, to have Dr. A announce my departure and how wonderful it’s been with me there, having Mrs. W say she was choked up with pride, it was really a big night for me I guess. One of the best moments I would have to say is when they asked me, the little white girl, to conduct the audience in singing the gospel version (if there is any other version) of “Go Tell It On the Mountain.” Yeah, you can imagine the laughter that came from every soul in the audience. But hey, I’ve been made fun of before. It builds character, right? I just stood up there and smiled myself, I would have laughed at me too.
It’s gonna be hard to leave I think. It’s hard to leave Dr. A and the other teachers I’ve learned so much from. To not have their guidance and answers every step of the way. It’s hard to leave the comfort of my classroom, where I know where to be and who will be there. It’s hard to leave the hallways where the noise levels are many many decibles above what anyone’s ears should be subject to. But it’s mostly just hard to leave the students. And although I know their lives will go on and honestly, most will forget I was even there after a good couple of weeks, it’s still weird every time I think that I won’t be there for important milestones in their lives. I must say I’ve gotten attached. I went through and wrote down some of my favorite memories from Ellington and things that made me laugh and things that made me cringe. I know those kids pretty darn well. And probably not at all at the same time. But even listening to their parents after the concert tell me how much their kids would miss me made it all the harder. I feel blessed to have gotten out of this experience what I have. But alas, I suppose all good things have an end. I certainly won’t miss the disfunction of the district and the unpredictability of… EVERYTHING. It was well worth it though.
But I guess the good news is I got a job! I’m (unofficially still) the new choir director of a school up in Gambrills, MD called Arundel High School. I’m pretty excited and extremely scared. It’s a big job but everything has honestly just fallen into my lap when another teacher decided to leave after having a baby. And they’re hiring me even without test scores which I’ll get into them shortly. It still hasn’t sunk in, especially getting a job mid-year. I have my work cut out for me but I know my Heavenly Father has provided me with this experience and He won’t leave me alone in it. At least I know that much. I owe my friends, one in particular, for saying just the right things to help me realize how good this is gonna be, how right it is. I have a job, baby!
About 15 of us went caroling in the metro station on yesterday morning. It was pretty funny, we handed out invitations to the Christmas Program we’re having at church next Sunday. I swear, being part of the performing arts I have had so many opportunities to “ring in the season.” Everything I do is basically the start of Christmas for one group or the other; I went to the White House Open House to kick off Christmas there. Then Kristy Glass had a performance at the National Theatre to kick of the season there. We sang at Macys to start their Season of Singing. We had our concerts last night and everyone remarked how “now Christmas could really start.” I guess it’s official.
Life is like a puzzle. You have all these missing pieces and you know what shape they’re supposed to be to fit into the missing parts of you, but you never know exactly how they’ll be colored, or when you’ll find them, or if it’s gonna take 2 small pieces or one big one, or even if certain sections will be completed before others. You really can’t get the full picture until every piece is set in place, and really, I don’t think that ever really happens. But I think Ellington has filled in a few of those places with brilliant colors I never imagined. I knew that I needed some lessons, some experiences that I was lacking. I knew what shape they needed to be but I didn’t really know why, I didn’t know what I was missing until they started being filled in. I didn’t know why I needed to come here to discover things about my voice. But I did, I certainly couldn’t have made the progress I did if I’d stayed where I was back in Utah. I didn’t know why I had to leave my best friends, but they moved on with their lives in wonderful ways and I got to meet people that have changed mine. It’s pretty awesome how it all fits. Nothing is coincidence. I’m grateful for that. And I’m really starting to like the picture this puzzle is making, while still in it’s beginning stages.
And now I have a million and one things to do to get ready for this week. We’re having our mentor teachers over for dinner, I’m trying to make 100 cookies to give to all my students, the students are putting on an opera/Motown Christmas concert this weekend, and of course there is the trouble of moving all our stuff out of here next week. The penthouse will be missed.
But I want to thank all you all that I know have been praying for me. It’s made the difference. I have an incredible family and remarkable friends. Many I’m SURE whose prayers reach the Big Man’s ears before mine do so thank you. I owe you one.

Happy Birthday, Emily.
2 Responses
  1. ALF Says:

    Found your blog from Andree & Chris' - just stopped by to say hi!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I loved your puzzle piece analogy so much I read it twice! I am happy you had such a great experience there. So I know it still isn't close but I might be moving to Boston soon. At least it is closer than Alabama. If I do, you need to come visit and hang.