I don't know if i ever mentioned how strange it is to be in this in between world of half student- half teacher but the student part is really catching up to me as I approach the deadline of my project. We need to have some sort of celebration when this thing is over. And then another one if it actually passes and I get to graduate.
Sarah's wedding last week was incredible. It's an amazing thing to watch someone you feel like you know everything about change completely overnight when they finally find that missing piece to them self. Justin really just makes Sarah complete. She was so happy and honestly, she was the most beautiful bride I've ever seen. It was as quick trip and i would have loved to see my grandparents but it didn't happen. So sorry if anyone else felt slighted. I realize more and more that my Utah days need to be done for awhile. I need a fresh start.
It's been one of those weeks that has a theme, you know, where everything revolves around one idea in very distinct ways. This week's theme was love... for the following reasons
- I've been reading Elder Wirthlin talk from General Conference about charity and it puts such a new spin on my perspective of the world, my students, my family, and everything revolving around each one of those. Love is the commandment on which all the others hang. It is the foundation of everything. With it, we are safe. Without it... we don't exist. I love the quote in his talk that says
"For us, the measure of our love is the measure of the greatness of our souls... it is the true measure of success in life."
I want to have a great soul. I want to be one those people that gains friends and retains them because "I possess the principle of love."
So I've tried to focus on what he said are the greatest manifestations of love, "the simple acts of kindness and caring we extend to those we meet along the path of life." Seriously, it changes my days. It's so basic but I often forget it.
So i guess i second what Burt Bacharach so wisely said so long ago... what the world needs now is love, sweet love. ha
- The wedding, obviously
- My friend and I had a good long heart to heart about his current situation with a long-distance girlfriend. The more he explained things, the more i realized that so much of what was confusing him, I at one point or another could have been accused of. Needless to say it made giving advice very easy because i could come at it from this girls' perspective, but i realized some things that really need to change about my approach to communication.
- My roommate and I had a piggyback convo from the one above about someone she's fond of ;) The idea came up that when someone falls in love, they need to be in love with who that person is, and not just how that person makes them feel. It seems like an easy distinction but it's not. You can love the way someone makes you feel but when you're in it for the long haul, they're not always gonna make you feel that good, believe it or not. But you still have to love who they are, everything that makes that up. (all the credit for that one goes to smitty.)
- I love my students. That's the bottom line. And you'll understand better why when i describe their honors assembly we had on Tuesday. But really, i've been able to put a lot of focus on them and their lives in and out of my class and I've grown attached. I hope that I always can take the time to do that on some level. Music is important but i can teach more effectively when i love WHO i'm teaching, not just what i'm teaching.
Okay, so after first semester grades Ellington throws this 2 1/2 hour long school wide assembly to recognize everyone who achieved a 3.0 or higher. It was one of the most bizarre things i've seen. Each of the certificate-giving parts was divided by a musical number of some kind. The first was a piano/violin duet of Michael Jackson's "Thriller." I know, hard to imagine, even harder to sit and listen to. They played really well though. Anyway, first the counselors called up all the freshmen who had a 3.0-3.4 GPA, then the sophomores, and so on. And we clapped and hollered after EVERY name. I have never in my life heard so many people so excited about a 3.0 as the entire packed auditorium erupts!! They make their way toward the stage, the theatre kids in the front row hit them really hard as they pass, i guess to say congrats, and then some girl in the back with the loudest voice in the world yells their name over and over. They're grinning from ear to ear. They grab their certificate, hug everyone in sight, turn around to make their speech and... just kidding, no speeches. There were about 20 from every class. I thought it was going to take forever. And then i realized that i wanted it to take a little bit longer. If we'd have had this ceremony at Neuqua Valley it would have taken all day. But it didn't. And i started to realize that's why they do this assembly so extravagantly and consistently. Cuz kids aren't achieving. But you better believe when they got that certificate and made their dramatic walk across the stage (all of them just live for that moment) they feel like they've really accomplished something other than their art that they work on. Academic excellence needs its emphasis here in DCPS.
Then the Concert Choir got up (mykids!) and sang "Lord Make Me and Instrument" and "Ride on King Jesus." Both are amazing songs and they execute them so well. Man, they blow the roof off every time.
The next group was the 3.5-3.9ers. (Did i hear a niner in there?) Surprisingly they got a little less applause. I think it's cuz they aren't as visible, they're the ones studying their guts out. There were a few more of them though which made me happy.
THEN, ladies and gentlemen, was a sneak peek at The Wiz which they're doing in February. I can't tell you how excited i am for this. If you're in town for any reason at all in Feb, you better come see it. It was excellent. So much going on, so much raw talent at the same time with the dancers, acting, singing, ect.
Last but not least we had the "A Train" students, quite appropriate for Duke Ellington. They were the students that received all As! There were 5. That's 1% of the school. Nobody really clapped much, nobody knew them. But I was proud. Whoever they are.
The principal came on stage in a wheelchair, he broke his foot a bit ago, and gave this speech about the stats of the District. I felt like I was in Church, it was a powerful talk if i've ever heard one. Dramatic pauses, loud, theatrical diction and all. By the time it was over I was convinced i was gonna be a better student! You can't help but get on your feet and say "amen."
But I was blown away. 55% of the kids in DCPS graduate, and from them only 8% go to college!! 2% of those actually graduate from college. I still can't believe those numbers as i write them now. I've had the chance to think a lot about why that is over my stay here and honestly, it's a hard trend to change. I wish i could so badly.
Moral of the story, it was a loud, long assembly. I would love to get in the heads of some of the friends and family that came, i'm so used to it all now that it's second nature to me now. But I'm sure they often wonder what the heck is going on.
Thanksgiving was great. It was fairly low-key, just the roommies and a turkey. I had the chance to clean up my room a bit and organize my cards. I have this binder that i keep all of my notes that people have given me. I'm on my 3rd volume now which is kinda cool because i go back to years ago and read what i've forgotten. I put all my b-day cards and random notes from the past semester inside. I have to express my gratitude for friends and family. Reading the nice things people have to say makes me realize how blessed i am to have people that really care about me, who help me see my strengths when i need to most, who encourage and support me. My parents especially. And my brother Preston on a mission. I'm thankful :)
That's about long enough. Back to my project.
quote of the week:
"Miss Clark, you sure do put up with a lot for not getting paid." -LeShawn, a very wise girl
Sarah's wedding last week was incredible. It's an amazing thing to watch someone you feel like you know everything about change completely overnight when they finally find that missing piece to them self. Justin really just makes Sarah complete. She was so happy and honestly, she was the most beautiful bride I've ever seen. It was as quick trip and i would have loved to see my grandparents but it didn't happen. So sorry if anyone else felt slighted. I realize more and more that my Utah days need to be done for awhile. I need a fresh start.
It's been one of those weeks that has a theme, you know, where everything revolves around one idea in very distinct ways. This week's theme was love... for the following reasons
- I've been reading Elder Wirthlin talk from General Conference about charity and it puts such a new spin on my perspective of the world, my students, my family, and everything revolving around each one of those. Love is the commandment on which all the others hang. It is the foundation of everything. With it, we are safe. Without it... we don't exist. I love the quote in his talk that says
"For us, the measure of our love is the measure of the greatness of our souls... it is the true measure of success in life."
I want to have a great soul. I want to be one those people that gains friends and retains them because "I possess the principle of love."
So I've tried to focus on what he said are the greatest manifestations of love, "the simple acts of kindness and caring we extend to those we meet along the path of life." Seriously, it changes my days. It's so basic but I often forget it.
So i guess i second what Burt Bacharach so wisely said so long ago... what the world needs now is love, sweet love. ha
- The wedding, obviously
- My friend and I had a good long heart to heart about his current situation with a long-distance girlfriend. The more he explained things, the more i realized that so much of what was confusing him, I at one point or another could have been accused of. Needless to say it made giving advice very easy because i could come at it from this girls' perspective, but i realized some things that really need to change about my approach to communication.
- My roommate and I had a piggyback convo from the one above about someone she's fond of ;) The idea came up that when someone falls in love, they need to be in love with who that person is, and not just how that person makes them feel. It seems like an easy distinction but it's not. You can love the way someone makes you feel but when you're in it for the long haul, they're not always gonna make you feel that good, believe it or not. But you still have to love who they are, everything that makes that up. (all the credit for that one goes to smitty.)
- I love my students. That's the bottom line. And you'll understand better why when i describe their honors assembly we had on Tuesday. But really, i've been able to put a lot of focus on them and their lives in and out of my class and I've grown attached. I hope that I always can take the time to do that on some level. Music is important but i can teach more effectively when i love WHO i'm teaching, not just what i'm teaching.
Okay, so after first semester grades Ellington throws this 2 1/2 hour long school wide assembly to recognize everyone who achieved a 3.0 or higher. It was one of the most bizarre things i've seen. Each of the certificate-giving parts was divided by a musical number of some kind. The first was a piano/violin duet of Michael Jackson's "Thriller." I know, hard to imagine, even harder to sit and listen to. They played really well though. Anyway, first the counselors called up all the freshmen who had a 3.0-3.4 GPA, then the sophomores, and so on. And we clapped and hollered after EVERY name. I have never in my life heard so many people so excited about a 3.0 as the entire packed auditorium erupts!! They make their way toward the stage, the theatre kids in the front row hit them really hard as they pass, i guess to say congrats, and then some girl in the back with the loudest voice in the world yells their name over and over. They're grinning from ear to ear. They grab their certificate, hug everyone in sight, turn around to make their speech and... just kidding, no speeches. There were about 20 from every class. I thought it was going to take forever. And then i realized that i wanted it to take a little bit longer. If we'd have had this ceremony at Neuqua Valley it would have taken all day. But it didn't. And i started to realize that's why they do this assembly so extravagantly and consistently. Cuz kids aren't achieving. But you better believe when they got that certificate and made their dramatic walk across the stage (all of them just live for that moment) they feel like they've really accomplished something other than their art that they work on. Academic excellence needs its emphasis here in DCPS.
Then the Concert Choir got up (mykids!) and sang "Lord Make Me and Instrument" and "Ride on King Jesus." Both are amazing songs and they execute them so well. Man, they blow the roof off every time.
The next group was the 3.5-3.9ers. (Did i hear a niner in there?) Surprisingly they got a little less applause. I think it's cuz they aren't as visible, they're the ones studying their guts out. There were a few more of them though which made me happy.
THEN, ladies and gentlemen, was a sneak peek at The Wiz which they're doing in February. I can't tell you how excited i am for this. If you're in town for any reason at all in Feb, you better come see it. It was excellent. So much going on, so much raw talent at the same time with the dancers, acting, singing, ect.
Last but not least we had the "A Train" students, quite appropriate for Duke Ellington. They were the students that received all As! There were 5. That's 1% of the school. Nobody really clapped much, nobody knew them. But I was proud. Whoever they are.
The principal came on stage in a wheelchair, he broke his foot a bit ago, and gave this speech about the stats of the District. I felt like I was in Church, it was a powerful talk if i've ever heard one. Dramatic pauses, loud, theatrical diction and all. By the time it was over I was convinced i was gonna be a better student! You can't help but get on your feet and say "amen."
But I was blown away. 55% of the kids in DCPS graduate, and from them only 8% go to college!! 2% of those actually graduate from college. I still can't believe those numbers as i write them now. I've had the chance to think a lot about why that is over my stay here and honestly, it's a hard trend to change. I wish i could so badly.
Moral of the story, it was a loud, long assembly. I would love to get in the heads of some of the friends and family that came, i'm so used to it all now that it's second nature to me now. But I'm sure they often wonder what the heck is going on.
Thanksgiving was great. It was fairly low-key, just the roommies and a turkey. I had the chance to clean up my room a bit and organize my cards. I have this binder that i keep all of my notes that people have given me. I'm on my 3rd volume now which is kinda cool because i go back to years ago and read what i've forgotten. I put all my b-day cards and random notes from the past semester inside. I have to express my gratitude for friends and family. Reading the nice things people have to say makes me realize how blessed i am to have people that really care about me, who help me see my strengths when i need to most, who encourage and support me. My parents especially. And my brother Preston on a mission. I'm thankful :)
That's about long enough. Back to my project.
quote of the week:
"Miss Clark, you sure do put up with a lot for not getting paid." -LeShawn, a very wise girl

WOW....do you ever make me proud!
Hey, it was great talking to you tonight, if only for a minute...we'll chat it up soon. Like i said, i love reading your blog!!