Mikale
Yesterday was one for the books. It started out fairly normal, recollecting on an FHE of a ghost walk through Alexandria Monday night, prepping for exam week for two of my classes. The ghost air conditioner in our room came on for the first time in months randomly, not blowing any real air or course, but revving its engine nonetheless.
But, as fate would have it, it broke down again around 11:30 when the power in the entire school (and much of Georgetown from what I heard,) went out. Mass chaos with no lights and very little natural sunlight since we were expecting a thunderstorm at any moment. We, of course, continued on, we’re happy with our piano and a voice willing to show off. But soon enough we were ushered out as the entire school was evacuated and put on the front lawn. So you’ve got 500 kids, most of them hungry, playing on the front lawn while the administration calls the chancellor, trying to get some direction. The electricians come and try to fix the problem, but leave without word. 2 1/2 hours we’re still there, with a rousing game of football, “cheerleaders” throwing each other up in the air, a make-over party, and a playground made out of the giant green chair. The neighbors were delighted, I’m sure. Everyone was getting anxious, the rain was about to start, and there was no safe way of getting anyone back indoors because it is so dark in that school. So eventually kids started leaving and we nobody really stopped them… I felt so bad. They were so good for so long… and nobody on top was willing to make a decision either way. We have a great principal though, very on top of things. Everyone was finally released to go to their locker, one floor at a time, and the sight was hilarious… cell phones used as flashlights, (anything used as a flashlight actually) trying to see down halls, in lockers, around corners, the whole shebang. Thank heaven for modern technology ;)
Later that night, DA, me, and 16 of our students met at Lido’s for pizza. We took off from there to the Kennedy center to see a thrilling performance of Mozart’s Don Giovanni conducted by Placido Domingo! The kids went nuts when he came out, commenting on his striking hair, how beautiful he was, how amazing it was to see him in person!! For those of you who, like me a few months ago, are oblivious to the world of Opera, Domingo is one of the “Three Tenors,” the most famous in the world made of Luciano Pavarotti, Jose Carraras, and Domingo. The performance was unlike any other of its kind, the costumes were very modern mixed with very old, the colors vibrant, the set breathtaking each and every scene. It was different, that’s for sure. The story itself is fascinating but somewhat... riskay? And long. Most of the kids fell asleep at one point or another in its 4 hour entirety. Anyway, it was cool because it was the dress rehearsal so we were part of a small group who got to go for free since Ellington is partners with the Kennedy Center. So around 11:00p we loaded onto the bus to the Metro station and sent everyone on their way. It was fun to talk to them outside of class, it’s a bonding time that you only get in that way.
This weekend was great, my family being in town which was incredible. Staci is so cute pregnant, I hope I can be there when her little girl comes into the world. Isaac was the center of attention, rightly so.
Saturday a bunch of us from the area went to this lake at my friend Mei Li’s boarding school that she teaches at. We hiked, fished, had a BBQ. Man, it was gorgeous with all the changing colors. I can’t wait to do that drive again soon when the leaves will have changed even more. This Saturday is gonna be incredible. I hope I get out from working on my TWS! It really made me think that this semester has been great living in the city but it might be nice to go somewhere I can actually see the stars at night. Maybe up to Maryland or further VA way from DC. All depends on the new job I guess. And no, I haven’t found it yet, but I’m getting closer, I feel it in my bones :)
The Female Ensemble performed on Sunday at the Boys and Girls Club, it was one of the most interesting situations… the “standing ground” (stage) was outside on a big rug with a keyboard and a rickety old chair that was about to break. It was almost 80 degrees in our long black dresses and the glare on my music for piano playing was awful, I could barely see anything. But we did the best with what we had, only 2 girls went down.
So life is fascinating and I’m tired, two good things when all is said and done. Off to another day… the lights are back on today so we carry on as usual. Expecting the unexpected.
2 Responses
  1. stacibee Says:

    I hope you can be here too Sis! Baby girl Koudelka is dying to meet her Auntie Mikale! I can feel it.


  2. Sandy Says:

    I'm sure glad you left the lights on for our visit to Ellington. The giant green chair pictures are a hit. Great trip...great daughter...great memories!