Mikale
So I’ve been off the charts for a long while… things get busy and blogging takes a back seat. But I do have some pictures and bragging I need to do so bear with me as I put up a few posts today.
Easter weekend was just what the doctor ordered- it fell during our Spring Break so I had time to go to some EFY coordinator training at the University of Utah. It was so good to be reminded of why I love that summer job of mine. I got to see some wonderful friends, see how EFY is spreading internationally, start planning for the summer and really just do an inventory on life. Training certainly incorporates the logistics of how to run a summer, but probably 85% of what we did there was talk about principles of the gospel that make us better. It was thrilling to be there and to bounce ideas off one another and to just dig in and discuss qualities that define us best as members of the church, to discuss our personal preparations, to discuss charity and the spirit of discernment and how our whole goal is to get these youth to desire to go to the temple more than anything else. There were a few times during the weekend that I just stopped and thought, the things I’m learning here and getting excited for aren’t solely things married to the EFY program, I can and should be doing and enjoying and implementing these ideas back in my DC life. For instance, I think sometimes I either get selfish or just complacent and start thinking that principles I learn during the year only apply to EFY and I have to wait to share them there—it doesn’t make sense that all my great lessons learned and impressions I have concerning the youth can’t apply to the people around me and even my own students. There is some connection, I need to work on finding it.

Anyway, we had our training combined with all of the Session Directors that will be working this summer around the nation. Honestly, to sit in a room with that many people that I so admire and have looked up to since my teenage years, I felt somewhat inadequate. To be able to rub shoulders with them, talk to them about life, and be taught and edified with them is an incredible blessing. There is something empowering about being surrounded by righteous couples. During one meeting I recall distinctly thinking about how no one was alone there- there were spouses supporting and preparing with each other, there were partnerships motivating and getting excited together. All around were people who were made greater than themselves because of those who sat next to them. And then those who sat around them. What a wonderful truth.

Brother Toma, our institute teacher here in DC, spoke at one of the firesides. He was talking about teaching and I want to share something he quoted from Boyd K. Packer- it’s been on my mind ever since.

I believe that to the degree you perform, according to the challenge and charge which you have, the image of Christ does become engraved upon your countenances, and for all practical purposes, in that classroom, at that time and in that expression and with that inspiration, you are he and he is you. And the transfusion takes place. By no unfriendly chance or bad company can
you ever quite lose the benefit of it.
–Boyd K. Packer, 1962 “The Ideal
Teacher”
What a cool charge it is to be a teacher :)

All in all, it was a great break from the mundane work scene and a fantastic pump up session to get me back to preparing well and working hard to be where I need to be spiritually and physically to endure the summer. I have such a strong conviction of the beauty of sacrifices made for the youth and the lengths gone to for youth to be able to catch the contagious energy of the gospel. It’s a miracle to see the spirit soften, change, guide and better hearts of everyone involved with it, and I think I can honestly say that most of my joy in life in recent years has come from working to providing that environment where the spirit can be, can teach, can mold- whether in my own classrooms or EFY or any other venue.

Easter was spent at Staci and Judd’s and Brian came down from P-town. I LOVE being with my darling Isaac and Sadie… it’s incredible to me how much you love kids when you’re related to them! Staci and I got to sing in church together, something we haven’t done in years. After church Isaac took me on a walk around their gargantuan “block,” a 45 minute feat that I never should have kept my heels on for. Near the end of the walk he told me he wanted “Antie Kale” to take a picture of him. He looks at the camera, puts his hands in his mouth and makes the cutest face I’ve seen in my life. I have no idea where he learned it but it was great. And then of course he made me do the same face while he attempted to wrangle with the camera.




Easter was complete with 2 Easter egg hunts, seeing the grandparents and soaking up all the family time I can. It gets increasingly difficult to live so far away with ever trip I take to visit.




Monday I got to see Sarah, Em, Shane, Jared, Joshy, and of course Brian. We ate lunch and just talked for awhile. Our lives certainly do change. It’s funny that I somehow expect things to be similar when I’ve been gone for 2 years… they aren’t at all. Sarah’s little girl Taylor is the cutest and smallest little baby- she’s adorable. The Naperville crew is doing well, everyone with their own grown-up life and stories. I sure do miss those days and yet I know going back wouldn’t ever be the same. How I love catching up with old friends though!
Sarah, me and Em. Love these girls!

3 Responses
  1. Sandy Says:

    These pictures put a smile on my face and a spring to my step!


  2. stacibee Says:

    I love it, love it, love it! We love when you come to visit Auntie Kale!!


  3. sarjuh Says:

    Yeah auntie kale come visit again! um they are so freakin cute...