Mikale
Graduation #3 is officially over and we're done for the summer! I went to Neuqua's graduation of 1025, Ellington's graduation of 107, and Arundel's graduation of 447 all in a matter of too short a time to forget how long it takes for 17 year old girls in 3 1/2 inch heels to gracefully make their way across a stage to grab a diploma. But in all honesty, there were all so wonderful, SOO different from each other, and just proud moments in my life to see some people that have made my life very special reach this benchmark in their lives.
Ellington's graduation, as you can imagine, was the most thrilling. Kids had outlandish things written on their caps, the coolest art drawing I've ever seen on their gowns and caps, and the audience was stellar. in between speakers they had each department do a special number, whether it was singing, dancing, poem reading, and then when each department graduated, the theatre tech people went crazy with lights and music for their own group, ect. The concert choir sang "Battle Hymn of the Republic," thesame arrangement that the Mo-Tab sings, which was really powerful. The Mayor of DC was there (for some reason every woman in that building thought he was the best looking creature on the face of the planet) and what I couldn't believe was the amounts of money they were giving out left and right for scholarships! When i was in school i really thought that $1000 was a substantial amount of money, but these kids were getting 4 and 5 grand from random doners across the street! It really is a uniqu place, only there can you, at the end of the ceremony, get everyone in the whole class to stand up, step touch back and forth, and sing the class song together.... musical or not.
Arundel's, though not as "showy" was cool just cuz it was at Bowie Baysox Stadium and we got to sing the National Anthem! Yes, i've sung at a baseball stadium now. Thank you very much. The kids did a great job. I wore a hood... never thought that day would come... i felt so educated or something. I remember when my teachers would wear those hoods and i had no idea what all the colors meant. Still don't, but i got a pretty sweet one. After the ceremony there was a killer fireworks show in the darkness of the stadium. The kids felt pretty important, which is what it's all about. It really is a proud moment to watch the kids you've taught walk across that stage, not because of what you've taught them, but because they've achieved something, and so some of them, that is one time that they really do feel on top of the world, that hard work pays off. We sang the Alma Mater as our little choir and half the audience stood as alumni of the school. Those people don't move around much :)
All in all, i'm grateful that graduation comes only once a year, 2-3 hours of speeches and name reading is a once a year kind of deal. I have 3 days of grading finals and wrapping up the classroom and them i'm out! It's been a phenominal semester. At some point I'm gonna have to write in my journal the tangible things I've seen that I've learned. That list could go on for miles.








A few of the cap art pictures...
2 Responses
  1. The Sweets Says:

    Hi Mikale!
    This is cousin Shelley! I just started blogging and wanted to say hi, and how glad I am that I can see what you're up to-since you're such a busy girl! I hope we'll see you soon and hope that all is going well for you!


  2. Laci Lee Says:

    Mikale you are one amazing girl. I am so glad that I came out in Feb to visit you. Thank you for showing me so many different things. I loved Ellington, even tho I looked scared (haha). Wow those kids loved you. It was so fun to see the excitment in your eyes. Thanks again for the awesome experience. I love you tons.