This week flew. I don’t know what happened other than Tuesday night I fell asleep at 6:30 when I got home and Thursday, well, I’ve been sitting here for at least 3 ½ minutes trying to figure out what I did Thursday and I have no idea. So that explains it I suppose. Week 3 at Ellington really started me thinking about if I’d be a good teacher in a school like this. More like, would I want to be a good teacher in a school like this. Flexibility certainly has become the word de jour. To give you a bit of a picture of the all the things that I thought were going to happen vs what actually took place I’ll give some examples.
-Monday I get to school to discover that the first writing assignment I gave out to a class of 10 was completely forgotten. Not a soul turned it in. I was warned. SO, I give them an F for the day and a chance to make it up 100% if they turn it in on Tuesday. I received 3 papers. I’m feeling pretty good.
-Monday I work with my female ensemble tirelessly for the entire hour long period because Mrs. P fell down some stairs and turns out she has a broken wrist and a sprained knee. We’re performing our first time (EVER) on Saturday and I’m conducting one of the pieces. I’m quite pleased with our progress by the end of the hour. Mrs. P comes back Tuesday and asks us to show her what we’ve done. Absolutely zero signs of any recognition from the entire ensemble. I’m working my tail off up there but to no avail. Needless to say, not very impressive.
- Wednesday the Dean of Ed from BYU and my supervisor I’m told are coming to watch and critique me on my 9th hour theory class which goes from 3:20-5:00p. I get to school to find out that the kids are going home 2 hours early! Hoo-ray. Faculty meeting called for the last 2 hours of school. So, one might think the because the day is shorter that the class periods are shorter as well. Naw, we’ll just skip the last class of the day entirely. So Becky’s out of luck. Scratch that.
- Also Wednesday we are interrupted at least 7 different times via intercom (quite typical actually) to be told that “anyone who is interested in coming down to listen to the producer of BET’s hit TV show, ‘We Got To Do Better,’ please come to the theatre during lunch. The producer, ___ ____ is here to talk about her show, formerly ‘Hott Ghetto Mess.’” Stellar. I didn’t quite make it down to the theatre.
-Our air conditioner is broken in DA’s classroom so it’s felt like a sauna every day this week. The weather outside is glorious, it’s almost 80 degrees, but it makes the room unbearable. Somehow they can’t find anyone to fix it. If it gets replaced in the next couple months we will be ecstatic. Clearly we now wear layers to work. But not only that, the room has now turned into a dressing room for the concert attire that just arrived. Long, black dresses hang everywhere there is room as we slowly have girls try on dress after dress. I think that’ll be over soon. Cross our fingers.
-The faculty meeting was a highlight of my week. Progress reports are supposed to come out soon and teachers are a little bit lit over the whole thing. Scheduling is still being worked out the 4th week of school and so prior to this, teachers have had classes of 6 followed by a class of 40. Somehow the equalizing and fixing of classes has taken this long. So now there are students in there that teachers have seen for a total of 2 days and are expected to give a grade. Plus the lady who was supposed to order grade books no longer works and so from what I see, attendance hasn’t yet been taken, nor have many assignments been given until class roles are finalized. So there was a bit of a huff about that as you might expect. Luckily me and Melanie, a coworker, went to Montana Ted’s afterward to get some bison burgers and put everything back into perspective.
-One of the teachers took a group of students to go sing a Carnegie Hall and either a miscommunication or a lack of communication (I vote for the latter) led to NONE of this teacher’s classes being covered all week long. Just up and left. So we’ve been spread a little thin trying to take on those students who, knowing that their teacher is gone, don’t bother showing up to class anyhow. It’s just how things work.
- Friday the cast from “Everybody Hates Chris” was at school so everyone was invited down to meet them during their 9th hour. I didn’t know whether to expect 1 person or 5, but luckily nobody in my class heard so Becky was finally able to watch me teach. Once again, a concept that I taught previously that I thought was clear, completely gone from their heads Friday. I got more blank looks from those 4 girls while “reviewing” chord inversions, than you’d see in a room full of manikins. I’m anxious to see how I scored on Becky’s teach-o-meter.
But that’s what being a teacher is, I’m learning. You go where the students are. Lesson plans are an ideal guide that rarely ever happen. But it’s kind of exciting for that reason. You plan, and then you just show up to see what’s gonna happen today! I can see it potentially getting tedious, but for now, it’s what I need to keep learning. I’m learning that I cannot in a million years ever learn to talk over these kids. Their voices are gigantic compared to mine. Class management has become the topic of my brainstorming for weeks and I’m slowly figuring out what works for me.
I would be lying if I said that I don’t love this job, despite all of these little turns and curves that happen everyday day. Once you know to expect the unexpected, it takes an awful lot for something to really get under your skin. DA is expert at that and she’s teaching me a lot just by example. She is an incredible woman. I’m learning to let things roll off my back. It’s not too hard, that’s the general feeling there anyway. And the students, let me tell you, are incredible. Monday were The Wiz auditions and they all performed their songs and lines for me. It’s so funny. The energy, when they’re doing what they want to be doing, is unreal. This production is going to be phenomenal. It’s worth it to buy a ticket out here in February to see, I’m telling you. So plan your vacations now…
I would also be lying if I gave off the impression that it’s all cake. I get stressed. Everyday after work I just don’t want to do anything, don’t want to be social, just want to stop thinking (let alone blogging) about work and life and people completely. I need to work on overcoming that. I have a few ideas on how to. But I look at what’s happening out here and I think, I couldn’t be this happy had I stayed where I was. And I mean it, I feel like one of the luckiest girls alive to be here. I know what it’s like to not be content, to wonder if the decisions you’ve made are really the right ones. But this isn’t one of those times. This truly is the experience I’m cut out for having right now in my life. Who knows if I’ll stay in this type of situation, or for how long, ect. I don’t have any better idea of where/when I want to be teaching come December. MY high school experience was great, but it was 7 billion light years away from what I’m in and what I’m doing right now. In so many ways I miss NV when I’m struggling. I wonder why DCPS can’t just get it together. But then I realize, it’s not even comparable. Money issues, parent involvement, in some cases caliber of teachers and administration, and cultures in both situations make it so that they are forced to run like night and day, completely opposite. Nothing’s even similar. But it is what it is and you do the best with what you’ve got. I love that concept.
Ah, I just remembered Thursday night, I babysat for some wonderful family friends. It was strange to be around little kids, it’s been forever it seems. But we had a great time and I got to see at least the first 10 minutes of The Office before I was taken home. That’s what you get when you don’t have a TV.
Yesterday Deana, Melissa and I went and checked out Eastern Market. It was the most perfect fall day and we walked through all the booths and produce stands and got some delicious food for the next little while. I don’t know why but it’s been one of those weekends when you feel like something is missing, something is undone. Or maybe it’s just hat everything is uncertain in your life and you’re in that “waiting place” like Dr. Seuss talks about. Not ideal. I think some of it is I’ve missed my family lots this week. Most of them are coming out in a few weeks, thank goodness. I think about my little brother Preston a lot when I’m out here and it’s gonna be awhile before I get to see him again. BUT we walked over to Costco, just a block away, and got some $1.25 frozen yogurt, chocolate/vanilla swirl. Honestly, the world just becomes a little brighter when you’re holding that cup.
The rest of the evening was great, we went to a Relief Society dinner and General Broadcast. I love hearing from the great leaders and prophets of the church about thing I need to hear, how I can be better and what’s expected of me. Because there is an awful lot. But really, why would you want it any other way? I missed serving as I looked around at all the women in the RS there. That organization is inspired.
Okay, I gotta get ready for church. I’ll try to be better about updating this puppy so you don’t have to sit through a half hour of reading. If you made it to the end, I applaud you.
Peace
-Monday I get to school to discover that the first writing assignment I gave out to a class of 10 was completely forgotten. Not a soul turned it in. I was warned. SO, I give them an F for the day and a chance to make it up 100% if they turn it in on Tuesday. I received 3 papers. I’m feeling pretty good.
-Monday I work with my female ensemble tirelessly for the entire hour long period because Mrs. P fell down some stairs and turns out she has a broken wrist and a sprained knee. We’re performing our first time (EVER) on Saturday and I’m conducting one of the pieces. I’m quite pleased with our progress by the end of the hour. Mrs. P comes back Tuesday and asks us to show her what we’ve done. Absolutely zero signs of any recognition from the entire ensemble. I’m working my tail off up there but to no avail. Needless to say, not very impressive.
- Wednesday the Dean of Ed from BYU and my supervisor I’m told are coming to watch and critique me on my 9th hour theory class which goes from 3:20-5:00p. I get to school to find out that the kids are going home 2 hours early! Hoo-ray. Faculty meeting called for the last 2 hours of school. So, one might think the because the day is shorter that the class periods are shorter as well. Naw, we’ll just skip the last class of the day entirely. So Becky’s out of luck. Scratch that.
- Also Wednesday we are interrupted at least 7 different times via intercom (quite typical actually) to be told that “anyone who is interested in coming down to listen to the producer of BET’s hit TV show, ‘We Got To Do Better,’ please come to the theatre during lunch. The producer, ___ ____ is here to talk about her show, formerly ‘Hott Ghetto Mess.’” Stellar. I didn’t quite make it down to the theatre.
-Our air conditioner is broken in DA’s classroom so it’s felt like a sauna every day this week. The weather outside is glorious, it’s almost 80 degrees, but it makes the room unbearable. Somehow they can’t find anyone to fix it. If it gets replaced in the next couple months we will be ecstatic. Clearly we now wear layers to work. But not only that, the room has now turned into a dressing room for the concert attire that just arrived. Long, black dresses hang everywhere there is room as we slowly have girls try on dress after dress. I think that’ll be over soon. Cross our fingers.
-The faculty meeting was a highlight of my week. Progress reports are supposed to come out soon and teachers are a little bit lit over the whole thing. Scheduling is still being worked out the 4th week of school and so prior to this, teachers have had classes of 6 followed by a class of 40. Somehow the equalizing and fixing of classes has taken this long. So now there are students in there that teachers have seen for a total of 2 days and are expected to give a grade. Plus the lady who was supposed to order grade books no longer works and so from what I see, attendance hasn’t yet been taken, nor have many assignments been given until class roles are finalized. So there was a bit of a huff about that as you might expect. Luckily me and Melanie, a coworker, went to Montana Ted’s afterward to get some bison burgers and put everything back into perspective.
-One of the teachers took a group of students to go sing a Carnegie Hall and either a miscommunication or a lack of communication (I vote for the latter) led to NONE of this teacher’s classes being covered all week long. Just up and left. So we’ve been spread a little thin trying to take on those students who, knowing that their teacher is gone, don’t bother showing up to class anyhow. It’s just how things work.
- Friday the cast from “Everybody Hates Chris” was at school so everyone was invited down to meet them during their 9th hour. I didn’t know whether to expect 1 person or 5, but luckily nobody in my class heard so Becky was finally able to watch me teach. Once again, a concept that I taught previously that I thought was clear, completely gone from their heads Friday. I got more blank looks from those 4 girls while “reviewing” chord inversions, than you’d see in a room full of manikins. I’m anxious to see how I scored on Becky’s teach-o-meter.
But that’s what being a teacher is, I’m learning. You go where the students are. Lesson plans are an ideal guide that rarely ever happen. But it’s kind of exciting for that reason. You plan, and then you just show up to see what’s gonna happen today! I can see it potentially getting tedious, but for now, it’s what I need to keep learning. I’m learning that I cannot in a million years ever learn to talk over these kids. Their voices are gigantic compared to mine. Class management has become the topic of my brainstorming for weeks and I’m slowly figuring out what works for me.
I would be lying if I said that I don’t love this job, despite all of these little turns and curves that happen everyday day. Once you know to expect the unexpected, it takes an awful lot for something to really get under your skin. DA is expert at that and she’s teaching me a lot just by example. She is an incredible woman. I’m learning to let things roll off my back. It’s not too hard, that’s the general feeling there anyway. And the students, let me tell you, are incredible. Monday were The Wiz auditions and they all performed their songs and lines for me. It’s so funny. The energy, when they’re doing what they want to be doing, is unreal. This production is going to be phenomenal. It’s worth it to buy a ticket out here in February to see, I’m telling you. So plan your vacations now…
I would also be lying if I gave off the impression that it’s all cake. I get stressed. Everyday after work I just don’t want to do anything, don’t want to be social, just want to stop thinking (let alone blogging) about work and life and people completely. I need to work on overcoming that. I have a few ideas on how to. But I look at what’s happening out here and I think, I couldn’t be this happy had I stayed where I was. And I mean it, I feel like one of the luckiest girls alive to be here. I know what it’s like to not be content, to wonder if the decisions you’ve made are really the right ones. But this isn’t one of those times. This truly is the experience I’m cut out for having right now in my life. Who knows if I’ll stay in this type of situation, or for how long, ect. I don’t have any better idea of where/when I want to be teaching come December. MY high school experience was great, but it was 7 billion light years away from what I’m in and what I’m doing right now. In so many ways I miss NV when I’m struggling. I wonder why DCPS can’t just get it together. But then I realize, it’s not even comparable. Money issues, parent involvement, in some cases caliber of teachers and administration, and cultures in both situations make it so that they are forced to run like night and day, completely opposite. Nothing’s even similar. But it is what it is and you do the best with what you’ve got. I love that concept.
Ah, I just remembered Thursday night, I babysat for some wonderful family friends. It was strange to be around little kids, it’s been forever it seems. But we had a great time and I got to see at least the first 10 minutes of The Office before I was taken home. That’s what you get when you don’t have a TV.
Yesterday Deana, Melissa and I went and checked out Eastern Market. It was the most perfect fall day and we walked through all the booths and produce stands and got some delicious food for the next little while. I don’t know why but it’s been one of those weekends when you feel like something is missing, something is undone. Or maybe it’s just hat everything is uncertain in your life and you’re in that “waiting place” like Dr. Seuss talks about. Not ideal. I think some of it is I’ve missed my family lots this week. Most of them are coming out in a few weeks, thank goodness. I think about my little brother Preston a lot when I’m out here and it’s gonna be awhile before I get to see him again. BUT we walked over to Costco, just a block away, and got some $1.25 frozen yogurt, chocolate/vanilla swirl. Honestly, the world just becomes a little brighter when you’re holding that cup.
The rest of the evening was great, we went to a Relief Society dinner and General Broadcast. I love hearing from the great leaders and prophets of the church about thing I need to hear, how I can be better and what’s expected of me. Because there is an awful lot. But really, why would you want it any other way? I missed serving as I looked around at all the women in the RS there. That organization is inspired.
Okay, I gotta get ready for church. I’ll try to be better about updating this puppy so you don’t have to sit through a half hour of reading. If you made it to the end, I applaud you.
Peace
